VICE PRESIDENT, RESEARCH
Reporting directly to the Chief Scientific Officer, in this role you will lead the development and implementation of the scientific and business strategy for Discovery and Translational Sciences at Jounce. Our discovery scientists execute on target validation, target biology, drug candidate selection and mechanism of action. Working together with our translational scientists who develop and leverage our Translational Science Platform, which is key to our understanding of tumor immunobiology and is instrumental in our approach to identifying and prioritizing targets and developing biomarker strategies, these two groups ensure that Jounce maintains a robust immunotherapy pipeline focused on selecting the right patients for our immunotherapeutics. The successful candidate will have a strong scientific background in immuno-oncology or closely related area, be highly familiar with biologics drug development, particularly for monoclonal antibodies, and have a proven track record in effectively leading teams.
- Provide scientific leadership and ensure overall effectiveness of Discovery and Translational Sciences including setting strategic direction, overseeing of work efforts within the group, and managing resources to meet the department and company goals;
- Lead a group of approximately 30, including direct management, mentoring, recruiting, retaining, and developing a strong team and fostering a collaborative workplace environment within and across groups;
- As a member of the Leadership Team, participate in company goal setting, development and implementation of company-wide initiatives, etc.;
- Establish and implement the vision for immuno-oncology discovery and translational science, ensuring that Jounce remains on the cutting edge of the field;
- Work closely with Research Leadership group to deliver on pipeline from Target Discovery to Development Candidate stage, including identification and assessment of external opportunities and technologies;
- Work closely with Clinical to ensure Translational Science efforts on biomarker identification and assay implementation meets needs of development programs, in terms of patient and indication selection, as they progress to clinic
- Partner with other R&D functions including Protein Sciences, Pharmacology, and Clinical Development;
- Build relationships and networks outside of direct reporting lines to aid progress of programs and to increase collaborations across other groups at Jounce;
- Represent Discovery and Translational Science in discussions with external collaborators/companies, serving as a member of joint steering committees as appropriate;
- Maintain and enhance the highest degree of scientific excellence and personal motivation for the team;
- Provides strong leadership, clear direction, development opportunities and open communication to direct and indirect reports;
- Prepare and track annual department budget and allocate resources appropriately to effectively further the Jounce pipeline;
- PhD or equivalent in Biology, Immunology, or related field;
- 15+ years industry experience in Oncology, Immunology or preferably Immuno-oncology with demonstrated drug development expertise including in Biologics;
- 10+ years in a management/leadership position;
- Experience providing oversight into preparation of technical reports and nonclinical sections of documents to support IND filings strongly preferred;
- Experience in biomarker identification, assay development and implementation to support early clinical development strongly preferred;
- Strong relationship building, leadership, and communication skills required;
- Proven track record of assembling high functioning teams and driving cutting edge biology supporting drug discovery is required;
- Experience in managing external research collaborations with academic institutions and other companies an advantage.
Jounce Therapeutics, Inc. is a clinical stage immunotherapy company dedicated to transforming the treatment of cancer by developing therapies that enable the immune system to attack tumors and provide long‑lasting benefits to patients. Through the use of our Translational Science Platform, we first focus on specific cell types within tumors to prioritize targets, and then identify related biomarkers designed to match the right therapy to the right patient. Jounce was launched in 2013 with funding from leading life sciences investor, Third Rock Ventures. In July 2016, Jounce announced a global strategic collaboration with Celgene Corporation. This global strategic collaboration, which included a $225.0 million upfront payment and a $36.1 million equity investment, is primarily focused on co‑developing and co‑commercializing innovative biologic immunotherapy treatments for patients with cancer.
To be considered for this role, please submit your resume to Careers@JounceTx.com with the job title in the subject line of your email.
We are an equal opportunity employer offering a competitive salary and benefits package.
All applicants should be legally entitled to work for any employer in the US.
Note to Employment Agencies: Please do not forward any agency resumes. The company will not be responsible for any fees related to resumes that are unsolicited.